The Canadian province of Saskatchewan is a world-leader in Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS). Saskatchewan and its provincial utility, SaskPower, pioneered the way for full-scale carbon capture facilities around the world with their fully-integrated carbon capture and storage demonstration project on Unit 3 of the Boundary Dam coal-fired power plant (BD3). Operations at BD3 have steadily improved since initial startup. The facility has addressed safety issues and has recently started to demonstrate a level of reliability that is consistent with a thermal-generating facility, although still at below design CO2 production levels. Once stable operation of the facility is achieved, it will allow the plant operations and support staff to focus on improving the efficiency and cost effectiveness of the operation.
- PRESS RELEASE: City of Farmington and Enchant Energy Sign Agreement
- Enchant Energy Response to IEEFA Report
- Study touts affordability of carbon capture technology at San Juan Generating Station
- Press Release July 8, 2019
- Enchant Energy CEO says San Juan Generating Station carbon capture may cost $1.23 billion