Enchant Energy is a New Mexico company that seeks to capture CO2 for sequestration purposes and electricity production by investing in state-of-the-art environmental technology at San Juan Generating Station. These activities are intentionally designed to further New Mexico’s dual goals of substantially reducing its statewide CO2 output, and supporting New Mexico’s economy by employing hundreds of people in San Juan County and on the Navajo Nation by providing reliable, low-cost wholesale electricity.
The founders of Enchant Energy, Larry Heller and Jason Selch, have been investing in large energy projects for over 30 years and together are responsible for over $5 billion in cumulative investments.
Why this Project is Important
New Mexico has, through its legislative and regulatory initiatives, positioned itself as a national leader in environmental energy policy. The principals and investors of Enchant Energy wholeheartedly affirm these initiatives!
The Enchant team and the City of Farmington are excited to advance the State’s goals with the proposed CO2 sequestration project at the San Juan Generating Station. It’s a rare opportunity to support such an environmentally friendly policy while simultaneously preserving hundreds of well-paid jobs that are simply not otherwise available to the residents of San Juan County and the Navajo Nation. A true win-win.
Enchant Energy Corporation
Enchant Energy is a New Mexico-registered company that is acquiring the San Juan Generating Station near Farmington, New Mexico. Enchant plans to retrofit SJGS with state-of-the-art carbon capture equipment that, when completed in 2023-2024, will transform the facility into the lowest emissions fossil fuel plant in the Western United States.
Cindy A. Crane, Chief Executive Officer
Thirty years experience in the electric utility, electricity generation and energy industries, 2014-2018 CEO of PacifiCorp/Rocky Mountain Power, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, 2009-2014 Vice President, PacifiCorp/Interwest Mining and Fuel Resources, 2007-2009 Vice President of Strategy, PacifiCorp, experience in wind energy project development and construction, nuclear energy project development, business acquisitions/dispositions, and strategic planning.
Peter Mandelstam – Chief Operating Officer
Peter has 28 years as an entrepreneurial renewable energy developer and policy advocate. His experience includes CEO and Executive Director positions for four land & offshore wind development companies and two solar non-profit installation, workforce training, and policy organizations. Career accomplishments, capabilities and experience include:
- Winner & Signer of 474 MW of competitively bid on land, wind, and offshore wind Power Purchase Agreements (PPA), totaling more than $6 Billion in guaranteed revenue.
- Advocate for multiple, successful legislative and regulatory solar and wind policy efforts in DE, NY, NJ, MD, and CT.
- Developed Montana’s first utility-scale wind farm at Judith Gap, operational since 2005. Won 181 MW; 135 MW built.
- Developer & Installer of 40+ solar power projects, on and off-grid, single- and multi-family low- and moderate-income residential.
- Work includes successful start-ups, leadership roles, management consulting, financial modeling, State and Federal wind and solar energy program design and advocacy, and for-profit and non-profit strategic planning.
- Extensive communications experience in print, radio, and TV appearances.
- Skills include renewables deal origination, successful legislative advocacy, policy analysis and formation, project development, successful capital raises, deep project management experience, construction logistics, and expertise in solar and wind finance.
- Wind and solar management include leading highly diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, in project development, solar and wind resource assessment, PPA negotiations (including first US offshore wind PPA), EPC drafting and negotiating, permitting / environmental analysis, finance, legal structuring, construction, and interconnection.
- Expertise in stakeholder outreach and education that have been featured in The New York Times, with those techniques studied at Yale and the University of Delaware.
- Implementation of Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity staffing program.
- Only person in U.S. history to have negotiated and signed PPAs in solar, on land, wind, and also offshore wind.
- Served on 8 Boards of Directors, including American Wind Energy Association (2000-2014), and League of Conservation Voters (2009-2015).
- Graduate of Harvard College, A.B. Class of 1983. Field of Concentration: Government.